Saturday, September 19, 2009

Portrait Challenge #2


Sherry (http://pashnada.blogspot.com/) and Ellen are working on a portrait challenge. This is my attempt #2. The problem with trying to draw a portrait, or anything else for that matter, when you are just learning, is that it never looks like the person you are trying to draw. We also tend to be hypercritical of our own attempts. Danny Gregory has said that you should draw, and then write on the page something good about your drawing; the idea is that you can't write anything negative. That would just give you an excuse to give up. In this portrait, I used Faber-Castell drawing pencils in HB, 2B and 6B, Faber-Castell PITT artist pen in both black India ink and Sepia india ink and a variety of Prismacolor colored pencils. In attempt to not be negative, I will note that I think I will probably use the india ink less and more pressure on the pencils to get more value in areas.

Comments? Advice is welcomed.

No comments: