Saturday, September 03, 2011

Status Post Bone Marrow (Stem Cell) Transplant

  This photo was taken on Day 49 following my Bone Marrow (Stem Cell) Transplant.  It was taken on July 19, 2011.  I am now at Day 95 and am awaiting the Day 100 Milestone.  It has been a long and difficult journey, including 5 weeks in the hospital and Graft vs. Host Disease, which made my skin red and thick and leathery all over and I was so swollen you could not tell I had ankles or knees or elbows.  But that is now in the past.  Current issues have to do with swelling in the feet and ankles, which has improved since stopping one of the offending medications.  I am working now on building up my stamina. 
  I am reading a book titled "Finding God's Path Through Your Trials" by Elizabeth George.  At least in the beginning, it centers around the first few verses in James.  One quote I liked:  "Faith is not a hothouse plant that must be shielded from wind and rain, so delicate that it has to be protected, but it's like the sturdy oak which becomes stronger with every wind that blows upon it.  An easy time weakens faith, while strong trials strengthen it."  by Katherine Workman 

No comments: